Saturday, March 19, 2011

Kayaking to Help Save Our Lakes

My Daughter, Samantha, kayaking Lake Travis in Austin, TX.

Last Christmas I met some new neighbors. A lovely 50 something married couple whose names I've forgotten. We were introduced at the McBride's annual neighborhood Christmas party. The couple told me that they are avid kayakers. I was intrigued because it was something I hadn't tried even though I've always been a water baby and have at least attempted most water sports. They invited me to come try it out for free and do some volunteer environment clean-up at the same time. They explained that the group that rents kayaks at area lakes meets once a month at a lake and collects trash from the lake while paddling around in a kayak. Only half the time is spent collecting trash. The other half is for having fun. All volunteers have a free rental. I wondered about getting in and out of the craft with my balance issues. They said that they are equipped to handle people with disabilities. "Awesome," I said. "How do I sign-up?"

The neighbors suggested I wait until warmer weather, then simply go to the website and the information will be there. So, that is just what I did today. I called the telephone number on the website and spoke with one of the organizers. A really nice guy name, Mike Swope. Mike told me the next kayak clean-up will be at White Rock Lake in Dallas on Sat., April 9 at 9:00 a.m. They will clean for 1 hour, then play for another hour. They supply everything. All I have to do is email them in advance that I am coming and they'll have a kayak with all the equipment ready for me. I'll receive a short 411 on how to kayak and then off I go.

I'm so excited! This will give me the opportunity to try a new experience, make some new friends AND do something good for the environment.

They also have regular excursions in various lakes around Dallas-Fort Worth and they give lessons for folks who really want to get into kayaking and go on more advanced adventures.

Click here to link to the website for more information:   KAYAK POWER

I also spent some time on the back patio getting some vitamin D while reading my Experience Life magazine. The best magazine by far on healthy living. If you're a member of Lifetime Fitness as I am, the magazine is mailed to you for free. Otherwise it is available on some news stands like Barnes & Noble. 

Spending time basking in the warm sun
called for a special cooling snack
so I made a  yummy
papaya, pineapple, banana and coconut milk smoothie. 
mmmmm!



Update on Allergies: 

Miserable. Benadryl was a mistake.
Tired & sleepy all day and sinuses burned
from being too dry. Thirsty all day.


Today
Laughter Yoga 30 min.
Meditation 20 min.

2 comments:

  1. The kayaking sounds like fun. I may have to check out Kayak Power. I have a coupon for kayaking at White Rock but have been waiting for it to get warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save your coupon Lynda and let's go together for free.

    ReplyDelete